John has combined academic excellence with a pragmatic and entrepreneurial approach for his whole life. He left school with AAAAB at A Level, a Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and other qualifications and went on to study Natural Sciences at Durham. As an undergraduate, he substantially reformed the commercial services provided by his college, turning them into a profitable business within one year and going on to serve as the Chair of the student body.
John joined the TeachFirst programme in 2010, training as a secondary science teacher at a challenging school in Kent. He left in 2012, having earned a PGCE, and spent a short period as one of the first employees of The Brilliant Club before becoming a full-time professional tutor.
Since 2012, John has been involved in a number of projects including:
- Character education project bringing psychotherapists and teachers together.
- Tutor training programmes.
- Delivering seminars on the role of neuroscience in education.
- Co-founding an e-learning company, Get My Grades.
- Working on complex international education projects across Africa and Asia.
- Serving as President of The Tutors’ Association from June 2020, throughout the Covid-19 pandemic (including engagement with the National Tutoring Programme).
Degree and above.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education with qualified teacher status (PGCE with QTS; Distinction). 2011.
Bachelor of Sciences in Natural Sciences (BSc (Hons); 2:1). 2010.
AAAAB at A Level (Biology, History, Government and Politics, General studies and Chemistry).
Advanced Extension Award with Distinction (History).
A at AS Level (Critical Thinking).
Gold, Silver and Bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
Get in Touch
Please fill out the form to get in touch with John.